Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Hertford Hockey Club app


Summer Mixed Stags - Match centre

Bishops Stortford
Mixed Summer Stags
Wed 23 May 20:30 - League Full time

Hertford Mixed Grab First Point

Despite being 3-0 at half time, Hertford Mixed Stags fought back to get a point against high flying Bishops Stortford.

With availability being an issue for Hertfords mixed side this year it came as no surprise as the line up included fresh faces throughout including 4 players from summer league hosts Broxbourne.

Hertford began the game in a cautious manner, trying to work out the style of each of the players and to also try and keep Stortford at bay for as long as possible. Despite the efforts of the back 4 and Lianne Warnell in goal it was Stortford who broke the dead lock with their attacking front 3 working well in the final third to finally drill home the first goal. The story continued in much the same manor for the rest of the first half with Bishops Stortford grabbing 2 more goals, a strike from the top of the D and a neat deflection from a crash ball across the face of goal.

The half time break gave Hertford a chance to grab a breath and work out the best way to handle some of the home teams better players, identifying 2 key men running the midfield. With a few changes to begin the second half and some key points fresh in the minds of the Hertford players, they came racing out of the blocks to try and counteract Stortfords attacking talent with pace and teamwork. It was Hertford who grabbed the first goal thanks to a crash ball into the D from Gav Elliott which had a bit of a bobble on it however was still met by George Lynn who deflected the ball through his own legs and past the keeper.

Although Hertford continued to press, it was Stortford who got the next goal. An aerial from the Bishops Stortford midfielder took a bounce just outside the Hertford D and as the Stortford player tried to control it, the ball came off of her stick and with Lianne already off balance, crept into the bottom left corner. The goal seemed to spur Hertford on and they soon grabbed their second with a driving run from Ciaran Begg down the right hand side which was calmly slotted home to make it 4-2. The score was soon 4-3 thanks to a Molly Hobson finish, George Lynn this time drove down the left hand side, onto the base line and slipped the ball past the onrushing goal keeper for Molly to knock in from 2 yards out.

Hertford knew they had more goals in them and sure enough, with 10 minutes left to play the got the equaliser. A darting run from Adam Price took the Stortford midfield out of the game and allowed George Lynn to receive the ball with enough time to turn and slot the ball into the corner.

The result gives Hertford their first point of this years summer league and they will be looking to grab their first win when they host Cheshunt on the 6th June.

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.


Loading comments


Club sponsors