The Junior Section of the club had a big weekend with the In2Hockey Herts County Finals taking place at Oaklands College and also the U16 Girls competing in the Regional Finals of England Hockey Tier I competition.
In2Hockey Herts County Finals
• First up on Sunday was the U12 age group, with the club enter 2 sides in the U12 Girls and Boys age groups.
- U12 Boys A Team were unfortunate to lose a close semi-final after winning their group comfortably winning all 4 games without conceding, and then lost in the 3rd/4th place play-off on penalty flicks. The B Team but in some excellent performances against St Albans A and Blueharts A (both finalists) with Elliot Mari outstanding, and they did win against Harpenden.
- The U12 Girls A Team lost the semi-final against eventual winners Blueharts A, but then won the 3rd/4th place off against St Albans A to claim 3rd place. The B Team, despite being in a tough group, losing narrowly to both finalist (Blueharts and Bishops Stortford), but winning against Broxbourne
• In the afternoon the U10’s took centre stage
- The U10 Boys winning 4 of their six games (W1-0 vs Bishops Stortford, W3-0 vs St Albans B, W1-0 vs Blueharts B, L1-0 vs Blueharts A, L4-0 vs St Albans A and finally W3-0 vs Broxbourne). This guaranteed them qualification to the Regional Finals (Picture Mattew Thomas, Kit Skillet, Hal Head, Alex Bond, Barney Heard, Aaron White, Roly Heard, Isaac Lewis)
- The U10 Girls had two sides, both undefeated on the day. The A Team won the whole tournament, having won their group matches vs Blueharts B W2-0, vs Letchworth D0-0, and vs St Albans A W1-0. They then defeated Blueharts A 2-0 in the semi-final and went to beat St Albans A 3-0 in the final. The B team despite not being able to progress from the group stages, winning two games and drawing one.
Team in picture L to R, Florrie Pidduck, Emily McKenna, Lois Quinn, Cate Aylwin, Sabrina Quinlivan. Bottom, Evie MacRae, Jess Reynolds, Georgie Marsden (GK).
EH Tier 1 Competition – Regional Finals
• The U16 Girls qualified for the Regional Finals of England premier junior tournament being held at Southgate. They were placed in group with Cambridge, Chelmsford and Old Loughtonian’s, clubs with major resources and history behind them. Despite the opponents the girls acquitted themselves excellent and despite losing two of their 3 games (including narrowly losing to eventual group winners Cambridge), the girls played some excellent Hockey over the day and can proud of their achievement reaching this stage of the tournament.
• Team – Mia Brown, Emily Palmer, Emily Rollins, Kathryn Rollins, Niamh Hartnett, Molly Hobson, Cerys Evans, Ayla Heslop-Moore, Lily Luke, Elizabeth McKenna, Emily Parry, Evie Reynolds and Emily Storey
The U16 Girls have also qualified for the finals of the Homes Counties League which will be on the 24th March.
The club’s junior section reputation continues to grow, becoming one of the strongest not just in the County, but also the Region. It has a strong and dedicated coaching team, but is always on the lookout for new players and coaches to add to its teams.
The club will also be running Hockey Camps over the Easter and Summer Holidays, for players of all abilities, giving youngsters the opportunity to be coached by some of the International Coaches. Camp details are HERE
Please check our website for contact details HERE
Updated 09:11 - 14 Mar 2019 by Nik Bentley